Consumption of ultra-high-purity (UHP) ammonia (NH3) has significantly increased in recent years, mainly led by the bright LED industry. UHP ammonia of purity of up to 7.0 (99.99999%) is typically delivered in packages such as:
- Tonners - Y-ton cylinders or drums weighing a ton, which typically contain 500 kg of ammonia
- T50 ISO tanks, which typically contain 10-12 tons of ammonia
Linde has developed special heated ISO tanks able to supply stable flows of up to 3,000 slpm, but sometimes this is not the best solution for some customers where their flow is higher and/or the customer is located a significant distance from a Linde or Linde partner production facility. For such requirements, Linde is able to offer on-site purification systems that use locally sourced agricultural-grade ammonia as the crude material.
The technology employed will depend on the customer requirement for purity and/or the available crude ammonia. Some low-grade ammonia may contain impurities that require special processes to remove. Example processes used include multiple adsorption systems, distillation columns, and a combination of both.
Benefits of an onsite NH3 purification system are:
- UHP capability to 7.0 grade product
- Cost-effective logistics, which rely on local crude ammonia and on-site purification
- Customized solutions sized as per customer requirement for purity and flow capacity
- Online analysis of key impurities